Home Gym Equipment

By Scarleth Nightingale - May 15, 2017


My Fitness Journey began on February 13th, 2017 and ever since that day my life has changed for the better. I've seen inches start coming off my body, I've had more energy to do things, I'm so much happier now. I owe it all to the hard work I have been putting in these past couple of months, working out/training your body is not an easy task, if it were everyone would do it. I remember that first feeling I had after a workout session, I was dripped in sweat, I could barely talk and walking was a challenge indeed. I promised myself from the beginning that I would only do HIIT workouts and eventually incorporate weights. I have no regrets doing these High Intensity Interval Training {workouts} they have changed the way I see Fitness as a whole. 

In the past I had tried using a trainer and a gym, to be honest, that wasn't for me. I do not enjoy the treadmill and find it extremely boring. I much rather get my heart rate up by doing some kick boxing. Don't get me wrong, if that is what you like, by all means keep working at it.. You should do what you enjoy doing to get your body in the best shape possible. Personally, if I had to choose between my machine {my body} and gym machines, I'd choose the latter. I workout at home, in my dining room area because this is the only area in my house that has a lot of space for me to be able to move, jump, run {in place}, use my mat, etc. I have great lighting thanks to our sliding doors and enough space to do what I need to do. 

Lately I have been getting questions on my personal Instagram about what equipment I use. You see, when I started working out at home all I had was a yoga mat, shoes and some workout clothes. Little by little I have been purchasing all the things I need for my home gym. Eventually, when we own a home I want to convert our garage into a home gym. That's the plan but for now I have to use what I have. So, this post is dedicated to all those that follow me and are on a fitness journey with me, I call them my Fit Fam. My purpose through my personal Instagram posts is to inspire, motivate and challenge. The hardest part of a workout is starting out, sometimes I believe we like ourselves out and we truly believe that we cannot do it. I'm here to tell you that you can, it doesn't matter where you are you can do this. 


One of the first things I quickly purchased was this 12mm mat from TJ Maxx, it has served me well. I didn't want to continue using my yoga mat because I didn't want it to rip {trust me, when I go in, I go in!}. So, I decided to buy a thicker mat for all my fitness needs, it also helps me with my left knee which can be a pain in the neck sometimes. This is definitely one of the best investments I have ever made.


This 10lb Marika Kettlebell was my 2nd purchase, I will never forget it because there was only two left and I quickly ran towards it before it was gone forever. I also purchased this from TJ Maxx and as some of you may know I use weights with a lot of my workouts/training. You want to crush and arm workout? get yourself a Kettlebell.


My first 5lb Dumbbells that I purchased from Target, these are from the brand Champion. In the beginning these felt so heavy to me, but now they don't. I still keep these around and use them when I need them, there are times my arms will be tired from a workout that I did a day ago and I will use these so I don't over due it. If you're a beginner and want to incorporate weights into your workout, I'd suggest starting with 5lb Dumbbells.


I've recently purchased these 8lb weights because I quickly noticed how weak my left arm truly is, so these are heavy but not as heavy as the 10lb. So, I've decided to start using these, I used them today and I can barely type anything because I feel it in all of my upper arm. But, I guess that's the point, that's a good sign. I didn't even touch my 5lb weights today, so I am proud of myself to say the least. 



So, because my 5lb weights were becoming light weight for me I decided to increase it to 10lb. I quickly realized that my left arm is weaker than my right arm {see above 8lb}. So, I decided to use one of these for triceps and so far that has worked great. I intend to keep them around obviously but I think the time will come when I actually use both dumbbells to my advantage. 


This Ignite by Sprite weighted ball is great for when you want to target {no pun intended, that's where I purchased it} your abs! Oh, will this thing challenge every muscle in your body. It is hard to balance myself on it and yes, I have fallen a couple of times ending up with bruises because of it. You can use this for leg workouts too, I find a lot of inspiration from Pinterest!


Another ball I get a lot of work out of is this 6lb Med Ball {Med is short for Medicine}. I use that little thing for the Russian twist, toe touches, v-up, torso twist, drill taps, squats and so much more. There are endless possibilities and workouts for the med ball. Pinterest will become your best friend because you can find workouts for all of the items I am listing here today. 

and last but not least, ya know, save the BEST for last...


There is no possible way for me to do all the training/workouts that I do if I didn't have my Fitbit Charge 2. This keeps track of heart rate, cardio fitness levels, breathing sessions, all day activity, it gives you reminders to move, gives you call, text and calendar alerts, multi-sport and tracking connected to GPS, auto sleep tracking {yes, I wear it to bed, after a while you get used to it}, long battery life! The bands are also interchangeable, which I love! I may be getting a teal and black one in the near future. 

There you have it this is all of my home gym equipment that I use on a regular basis. If you follow me on my personal Instagram page you know this to be true as I post videos of my workouts in my Insta stories. This Fitness Journey has been challenging but rewarding in so many ways. I hope to continue to inspire, motivate and challenge others to live a healthier lifestyle. I am not following any diet plan, I am eating right and working out, doing it the old fashion way works just fine for me. If you are thinking about starting your own Fitness Journey my biggest advice is DON'T GIVE UP. You can do it, it's not your body you have to convince it's your mind. It all starts there. But if I have been able to do it, remained committed and determined to lose this weight, I promise you that once you start seeing inches and pounds come off, you will ask yourself why didn't I start sooner.

YOU GOT THIS!

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

YES, YOU CAN!!!

xo, 












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Thank you for stopping by...