Anxiety | How I Cope in Crowded Places

August 01, 2016



Many people don't know this about me but I have suffer with Anxiety in crowded places. I don't mind being around people it's the amount of people I mind being around. I guess I just get into my own head being in a crowded room or place. It's weird because if I'm with someone else usually I am able to control my anxiety but if I am alone I begin to panic. And believe it or not it doesn't happen all the time. In 2015 I went to the "On The Run Tour" by myself, I arrived early and made my way through the crowds to get to my seat. I didn't panic at all and I had the greatest time ever! I loved watching Beyonce & Jay-Z perform live and together for the first time ever. It could've been that I was so excited that I didn't care and just let loose. It was truly the best time ever and a concert I will never forget. 

The question is how do I cope in crowded places, here's a great example, I hate elevators I mean i'll take the elevators but I don't like them especially when they become extra crowded. I start sweating and my hands start to shake. When I realize this is happening I try to quickly turn my attention to something else, ill start looking at my phone and scrolling down through social media or ill just stand in the elevator looking at everyone coming in and out. I look at what they're wearing and what they smell like, you'd be surprised to know I've thankfully never had to encounter anyone with B.O. and sometimes I've met some awesome people in elevators that crack a joke or two to lighten the mood. Which really calms me down.

Another place I do not like that is crowded are Malls, I avoid them like a plague especially on the weekends. You will not catch me at the mall on a weekend unless I need a last minute item that I couldn't get during the week. I'm an avid online shopper, I love that I can shop from the comfort of my own home. I usually go shopping during the week while everyone is at work the only people roaming the malls are tourist. I have yet to have an anxiety attack at the mall because I make sure to go on the weekday and I also go to the store I want, find what I need and head back out. I always make sure to have my keys in my hand when I leave the mall and am power walking through the parking lot. Although I also make sure to park really close to the front of the store it's always good to be prepared.

In my younger years I don't remember ever feeling anxious about anything and I believe that is because I didn't have a care in the world about what could happen to me in a crowded place. Now, that I'm in my 30's and with all that's happening around the world I probably choose to stay home more often. Don't get me wrong, I make the time to go out with my friends or hang out with them at their homes too but usually you will find me at home. I have to thank God for the fact that I have not allowed Anxiety take over my life because I will not allow it too. I know Anxiety is different to others, for me personally my trigger point is a crowded place, I don't like it, it makes me fearful and that's when I lose control and panic.

One of the things that I do on a daily basis is pray and meditate this allows me to relax and focus on good things. When I feel like it's about to come {I feel a sense of urgency and I start feeling hot} I begin to pray, it doesn't matter where I am at, I will begin to say a prayer and ask God to help me, for me this works every time. For me personally prayer is a powerful tool, it helps my life in so many ways. It's only through God's help that I am able to conquer anxiety when it tries to hit. Just talking about it makes me uncomfortable but I know there are people out there that suffer through it too, I'm here to tell you that you are going to be okay. Don't let it have power over you. As I previously said, sometimes I can't control it and it just happens but when I am able to put a stop to it because I recognize my symptoms I smile and thank God for it because I was able to conquer it one more time. It's a constant battle but it's a battle that can be won.

Now, you know a little more about me than you didn't before. I hope by reading this you've realized that everyone in this world is suffering with something. It could be depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts and so much more. This world needs more love and less hate. Let's reach out to be more loving, kind, compassionate and understanding of others. We do not know that battles others are facing.

xo,


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for stopping by...